Are you a Young Entrepreneur Looking for Guidance and Funding to Move your Business Forward?
The 2017 SUMMIT Summer Intensive consists of 10 weeks of 40+ workshops given by industry professionals and faculty on Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays between May 9th and July 20th.
SUMMIT will offer young entrepreneurs – a hands-on experience developing your business/product/service/idea, guidance from veteran entrepreneurs, a network for learning and support and funding to get you moving.
Participants in SUMMIT will be eligible to receive up to $3000 in funding.
That’s right, WE provide YOU with money to fund your business development.
To receive $2000 – the participant must –
- Attend 90% of the program sessions
- Present their updated weekly journal to the designated facilitator
- Complete a progress evaluation – at minimum 2 (July and October)
- Complete their Business Model Canvas (BMC) Review
- Attend 1 Networking Event outside the College
- Actively participate in the program with a collaborative approach and open engagement with the attending peer group, and generally conduct themselves in a manner consistent with mutual respect for others and College policies applicable to student conduct
To receive an additional $1000 grant – the participant must adhere to all of the above and, in addition….
- Volunteer – 2 half-days or 1 full day in a qualifying activity approved under the program
- Attend 3 Field Trips (currently scheduled for the week of July 17th)
- Be prepared to participate in the final stage of the BMC Review
- Attend SUMMIT Connects, the program graduation event
- Participants must be between the ages of 18 to 29 years
- SUMMIT is open to current Algonquin students, Algonquin Alumni and non- Algonquin students (as long as you are between the ages of 18 – 29)
- Participants must be living in Ontario
- Two students can collaborate on one business concept but each must apply separately
- Business concepts must be beyond the idea stage – participant will need to have entered the planning stage by conducting research or starting the business planning process
- Participants must attend 90% of workshops and document their learning, findings, and plan in a business canvas/workbook
- All participants must bring to SUMMIT an open and collaborative approach to entrepreneurship
- Everyone in the group is attending SUMMIT to develop their skills and their business concept. The learning process will be exponential if all participants are willing to learn from each other
- Participants must bring a laptop
- SUMMIT runs from May 9th to July 20th – with the week of June 19th off (for AC Convocation)
- SUMMIT takes place from 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm – Tuesday and Thursdays sessions will be at Algonquin College and Wednesdays will be at the Invest Ottawa offices at Bayview Yards. Participants must be able to attend sessions at both locations
- Participants are given an hour at lunch to set up meetings and deal with outside issues
- Participants are responsible for catching up on missed workshops as all materials will be made accessible
- Paid Parking is available over the summer months through the College’s Parking Office
- Participants will be required to bring paper, pen and a phone in addition to a laptop
- As part of the application process, all participants will be requested to sign a SUMMIT Participation Agreement that will include various conditions, including those outlined above
- The Participation Agreement will cover confidentiality of business ideas shared among participants during SUMMIT
- Students are required to complete an online application that will include a series of questions about their business /product/service/idea
- Applications will be screened and those selected will be required to pitch their business idea to a panel of judges
- Pitches will include an overview of the submission in 5 slides and no more than 7 minutes in length. A small panel of judges will have 8 minutes to ask questions. A sample deck will be sent to those chosen to pitch
- From those pitches, the judges will select the SUMMIT participants
SUMMIT Application Process and Timing:
- Deadline for participant applications is March 28th at midnight
- Pitches will take place the week of April 3th
- Notice of Acceptance will be sent to participants the week of April 10th
Check out our SUMMIT2016 video
Attend our SUMMIT INFORMATION SESSION
Wednesday, March 8th from 2PM to 3PM in the F Building at Algonquin College
Please click on the link below to submit your application for SUMMIT 2017!