Study Skills Workshops
Success in a college environment depends on those key skills that you’ve been hearing about throughout your academic career — time management, organization, note-taking, reading, and studying. The Student Learning Centre (in partnership with Counselling, the AC Hub, and Centre for Accessible Learning) will be offering FREE weekly workshops on different academic topics throughout first semester. These workshops will give you new strategies to approach your courses and the opportunity to share ideas and experiences with other students.
- Time Management: Creating a Weekly Schedule and Semester Plan
- Note-Taking and Reading Strategies
- Getting Started on Assignments and Avoiding Procrastination
- Stress Management
- Study Strategies and Test Preparation
- Exam Prep
- Test Taking Skills and Managing Anxiety—How to Ace that Test
For additional information to help you develop these skills, you can also visit Study Skills: a guide for academic success.
Time Management: Creating a Weekly Schedule and Semester Plan
Managing your time and keeping on top of your work are the keys to success as a college student. This workshop will introduce you to some simple techniques to plan your time more effectively. A learning strategist will teach you how to build an “Ideal Weekly Schedule” and a “Semester Plan,” and you will leave the workshop having started both of these items.
- January 17th, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Student Learning Centre – room C210
- January 19th, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the P Building – room P105
- February 8th, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the AC Hub – E217
Note-Taking and Reading Strategies
It can be challenging to listen to your professors while also writing class notes . . . and how do you balance all of the readings that you need to get through, anyway? Come to this workshop to learn more about different note-taking systems, and figure which one best fits your courses and your own learning style. You will also be introduced to reading techniques and textbook features that will help you learn the material more effectively.
- January 24th, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Student Learning Centre – room C210
- January 26th, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the P Building – room P105
- February 13th, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. at the AC Hub – E217
Getting Started on Assignments and Avoiding Procrastination
“If I’d just started earlier, I could have done so much better.” Although many students claim to work better under the pressure of deadlines, not having enough time to complete assignments can mean that you are not reaching your potential as a student. Learn to maximize your marks by starting early and breaking down your assignments into manageable parts using an “assignment tracker.” This workshop is also about sharing techniques that will help you break the habit of putting off work and learn strategies to avoid procrastination.
- January 31st, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Student Learning Centre – room C210
- February 2nd, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the P Building – room P105
- March 1st, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. at the AC Hub – E217
- April 11th, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Student Learning Centre – room C210
- April 13th, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the P Building – room P210
Study Strategies and Test Preparation
Practice makes perfect! If you want to feel more comfortable with new material, you need to review regularly and actively! Trade in straight reading for techniques that will allow you to rehearse material, test yourself, and come up with memory devices. Learn how to prioritize your studying and focus on the material that really matters. The techniques introduced in this session will help throughout the semester, as well as leading up to exams.
- February 2nd, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. at ACCE (CA Building) – CA103
- February 14th, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Student Learning Centre – room C210
- February 9th, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the P Building – room P105
- February 27th, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. at the AC Hub – E217
Balancing your course-load and personal commitments can be a stressful experience for many college students. This workshop, led by an Algonquin College counsellor, will help students learn more about stress. It will also introduce practical strategies to help with stress management so that you can focus better on your learning!
- February 7th, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Student Learning Centre – room C210
- February 16th, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the P Building – room P306
- March 29th, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the AC Hub – E217
For many students, exam time can be filled with stress, anxiety, and worry. This workshop will help you to plan out your time in the weeks leading up to exams so that you have enough time to study each subject. It will also introduce the “Stoplight Study Technique” to help you determine what material you need to cover. Other strategies will include active study techniques, memory tools, and test-taking tips that can improve your exam results.
- April 18th, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Student Learning Centre – room C210
- April 20th, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the P Building – P210
Test Taking Skills and Managing Anxiety—How to Ace that Test
This teaches the best-known strategies for writing tests, including study preparation and other tips and tricks. Each testing style (i.e. multiple choice, open book, true or false, short answer, math, and essay) is examined along with specific techniques that may help improve scores. Test anxiety and strategies to overcome it are explored. “How to Ace that Test” emphasises personal responsibility for mastering the art of test writing via a systematic approach..
- March 3rd, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. at the AC Hub – E217
- April 12th, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the AC Hub – E217