Your Information

Accessing your Employee File

If you require access to your employee file, please contact Human Resources to arrange an appointment. Please note that we require 24 hours notice to prepare the file and ensure that we have a private location that you can use to review the file contents. File contents are not to be removed, however, if you require copies of certain documents we can arrange to provide you with these.

Obtaining a Staff ID Card

As a full-time employee, you need to obtain a staff ID card and carry it with you at all times when on College property. New employees are automatically provided with a card when they are hired. Existing staff who need to obtain a photo ID card, or to replace a card, should visit the Card Systems Office (C044a) with a completed requisition form.

Human Resources encourages every part-time employee to obtain a part-time employee ID card (no photo) at a cost of $15.00. The request must be forwarded to Human Resources via your manager. Please speak directly to your manager should you wish to obtain a card. Once a card is issued, it remains valid until the end of your current authorization, at which time you must obtain another card.

Records of Employment

A Record of Employment (ROE) will be required if at any time, you wish to apply for Employment Insurance Benefits. An ROE may be requested any time that the employment relationship ends for a period of more than 14 days, including:

  • End of a temporary payroll authorization which will not be immediately renewed;
  • Termination of employment by the College;
  • Resignation from employment for alternate work;
  • Resignation from employment for disability/illness (part-time only);
  • Summer layoff;
  • Maternity or Parental Leave;
  • Compassionate Care Benefits; etc.

ROEs are automatically generated when a full-time employee leaves the College, but must be specifically requested by a part-time employee or their manager. Since the part-time payroll is paid two weeks following the work period, it is necessary for the manager to provide Human Resources with the hours worked during the last pay period of employment. This helps us provide employees with the requested ROE within the mandatory 5-day window. Email Ruben Sanchez for a form.

Algonquin College transmits ROEs via the internet, ensuring that your claim is immediately delivered to your local Employment Insurance (EI) Office. A copy can be provided to you upon request. A copy will be kept in your personnel file for a prescribed period of time.

Your ability to qualify for EI benefits depends on your employment history, the number of hours you have worked during the qualifying period, and the reason for which you have ended your employment. For full details, please visit the Government of Canada website, Applying For EI Benefits, or contact your local EI Office.


Human Resources is not responsible for the maintenance or distribution of T4s or other tax-related documents or information. Please direct inquiries to Algonquin College’s Payroll Department at 613-727-4723, ext. 7103.

Key Forms and Documents