The Perth and Pembroke campuses only use AlgSecureWLAN - AlgKeyWLAN is not available.
Your Network Account: Student account - Staff account
(This is your main Algonquin Account)
Printing with Wireless: Windows & Mac (or Tiger)
(For printing in labs)
Network Drive: For Windows or Mac
(This is your network drive, accessible from college or home)
More information about joining our wireless network below...
Benefits of Wireless:
The Algonquin wireless network spans most of the campuses and allows laptop users to connect with no cable. By having a wireless service on campus, students/staff can access:
– The Internet at any convenient time and place.
– Access their course materials anywhere on campus
– Access their email, network drive and some applications
– Print to their chosen lab printer from their laptop
Minimum Requirements - You need:
- MS Windows
- Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (See "Wireless Tips about XP issues")
Windows Vista with Service Pack 1
- Mac OS X
- Linux version 8.0 and up
- A wireless card that supports 802.11 "a","g" or "n" standards. See coverage.
Recommend Wireless Dual Band Wireless USB Adapters - Summer 2011
- Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Adapter (WUSB600N)
- Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter (WNDA3100 or WNDA3200)
- D-Link Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter (DWA-160)
- Wireless card that supports WEP or WPA/WPA2 (external or built-in)
- Most modern laptops have a built-in network card. You can visit the college computer store beside the bookstore to purchase one if needed. - Link
- An Algonquin network account
(Students- see ACSIS - - - -Staff- see your manager )
- See Connections at the top of this page.
- Optional for students - installed printers for wireless printing
•WEP – Earliest and least secure method of securing a wireless network
•WPA (PSK) Very secure, but not infallible
•WPA (AES) The latest and most secure protection
•Algonquin College offers only WEP and WPA encryption. WEP is slowly being phased out (gone within 2 years).
•Note: Algonquin College strongly recommends that you to purchase a new wireless card that supports WPA/WPA2 for your own security if your wireless card can only support WEP.
•Important Note: You should ensure you have up-to-date anti-virus software, a personal firewall and have also applied the latest Windows Updates to your computer before using the Algonquin College's Wireless Network. Omitting the regular updates will leave your computer open to risks or even prevent a wireless connection from working at all. Do all updates!
See our wireless tips for better service.