The Office of the Ombudsman is established to ensure the just, fair, and equitable treatment of every student.
You may contact the Ombudsman if:
• You have a concern about an aspect of student life at the College
• You are unsure about the policies, procedures, rights and responsibilities that apply to your situation
• You need someone to listen to your situation and help you explore different options to make an informed decision
• You feel that your student life has been adversely affected by the conduct or behaviour of another person
• You need someone to facilitate communication between yourself and another member of the College community
Following a request for assistance, the Ombudsman will take one or more of the following actions:
1) Listen carefully to the concern
2) Explain relevant student rights and responsibilities
3) Review relevant university policies or regulations
4) Suggest fair and equitable options
5) Refer the individual to an appropriate College resource or
6) Investigate, when necessary
Confidential, Impartial, and Independent
Information obtained by the Ombudsman is held in the strictest confidence. Students can discuss their concerns fully and frankly. Your Ombudsman is independent and impartial, and has effective access to both Algonquin College and Students’ Association officials.
To learn more about the scope of the Ombudsman’s role, please check the Terms of Reference.
The Office of the Ombudsman is located at the Ottawa campus (Student Commons – E112). Periodic visits are made to the Perth and Pembroke campuses and arrangements for confidential meetings at other locations will be made when warranted.
You can visit the Ombudsman during our office hours:
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:00 – 4:30 p.m. (excluding statutory holidays) or by appointment after-hours, if necessary.
Appointments can be made by email, phone, or come to our office at the Ottawa campus (Student Commons – E112). Walk-ins are welcome; however, the Ombudsman may not be able to see or speak with you if he is in a meeting with someone. It is suggested that you phone or email in advance to schedule an appointment.
You may contact the Ombudsman by:
Phone (confidential line): 613 727-4723 Ext. 6835
Fax (confidential line): 613 727-7708
Note: Please be reminded that email is not a secure medium for sharing confidential information.