Part-time Faculty Orientation Program
The Part-Time Faculty Orientation Program is designed for new part-time faculty teaching in a face-to-face, hybrid or online learning environment. Participants will be introduced to best teaching practices from the teaching competencies of the ‘Professor of the 21st Century Framework.‘ Participants will be introduced to services, resources and tools to get them started at the College. They will learn about ways in which to create a positive and respectful learning environment, techniques and strategies for engaging diverse learners, and the use of the College’s Learning Management System and eText delivery, integrating educational technology to support learning and selecting appropriate and valid evaluation tools.
Program of Study
The Part-Time Faculty Orientation Program is designed for new part-time faculty at Algonquin College and returning part-time faculty who have not taught at the College in the past two years. The six sessions in the program are offered three times a year (Fall, Winter & Spring). Three sessions are offered prior to the start of each semester, the remaining three are offered after faculty have been in the classroom for a month. Participants are remunerated at $25.00/hr. for the completion of each session regardless of whether or not all 6 sessions are completed. Participants will be paid within a few weeks after the last session is offered for the series.
Requirements of Successful Completion
Successful completion of the program requires the completion of six (6) sessions: one online module and five face-to-face sessions. These are: Finding Your Way at Algonquin College (online), Getting Started with Blackboard & eText, Creating Positive Learning Environments, (all offered prior to each semester start-up) and Engaging Our Learners, Teaching is More Than Talking and The Nuts & Bolts of Evaluation. These sessions are facilitated by full-time and part-time faculty at the College and each participant is given a resource manual for each of the sessions she/he attends.
Upon completion of the Part-Time Faculty Orientation Program, participants will have been given the opportunity to:
- Use both print and online sources of information to identify and access key resources that support both faculty and their students;
- Situate themselves within the larger, connected college community;
- Establish and maintain a positive and engaging learning environment for students in face-to-face and online environments;
- Explore concepts of teaching values, learner diversity and mutual respect;
- Use basic features of the Blackboard Learning Management System and Texidium, the eText delivery platform to support student learning;
- Develop a content valid evaluation plan that is consistent with college guidelines and principles of evaluation and assessment in a variety of modalities;
- Select and use a variety of teaching techniques, including the use of educational technology, that promote active learning and engage and motivate learners.
To register for any of the workshops, please visit the event schedule.