Information and Communications and Technology Council to bring new Work Integrated Learning opportunities to Algonquin College

OTTAWA – Algonquin College students will benefit from new, experiential learning opportunities that prepare them to succeed in high-growth sectors of the digital economy.

Algonquin College is collaborating with the Information and Communications and Technology Council (ICTC) to support education-industry partnerships that will enhance opportunities for students in the digital economy as part of ICTC’s Workplace Integrated Learning (WIL) Digital Program.

In joining forces, the two organizations will help students develop the skills needed to thrive in the digital workforce of today – and the digital workforce of tomorrow.

ICTC will set aside a number of placements for eligible students studying at the College’s School of Advanced Technology, with a focus on such programs as Computer Systems Technology – Security.

ICTC and Algonquin College will work together to secure industry partners and create student pathways to quality workplace learning opportunities – especially in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) and business sectors. The organizations will also share knowledge and explore new opportunities to work together on important education, skills and/or talent-related initiatives in the digital economy.

“Experiential learning is a top priority for Algonquin College and we are excited to partner with the Information and Communications and Technology Council to enhance our learners’ opportunities,” said Claude Brulé, Algonquin College’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “This innovative agreement will allow us to provide our learners with valuable, relevant work experience for today’s digital economy – in everything from cybersecurity to big data to artificial intelligence.”

“As the employment prospects for digital workers in Canada continue to intensify, we are delighted to partner with a leading academic institution to prepare the workforce of tomorrow and provide businesses with innovation-ready talent in an increasingly digital-based economy.” said Namir Anani, ICTC President and CEO.

-30-

For more information:

Ruth Dunley, Communications Manager
Algonquin College
Office: 613-727-4723 ext. 6452
Mobile: 613-406-0970
dunleyr@algonquincollege.com

Chris Lackner, Communications Officer
Algonquin College
Office: 613-727-4723 ext. 2091
lacknec@algonquincollege.com

Stephanie Wilson, Director, Senior Director, Digital Transformation & Strategic Outreach
Information and Communications Technology Council
1- 613-237-8551 ext. 147
communications@ictc-ctic.ca

About Algonquin College:
http://www.algonquincollege.com

The mission of Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology is to transform hopes and dreams into lifelong success. Algonquin College, an Ontario public sector community college, does this by offering hands-on, digitally connected, experiential learning in more than 185 programs. Based in the Ottawa Valley, Algonquin College is the largest polytechnic institute in eastern Ontario.

About ICTC and WIL Digital
ICTC is a not-for-profit national centre of expertise for the digital economy. It is the trusted source for evidence-based policy advice, forward looking research, and creative capacity building programs for the digital economy.

The ICTC WIL Digital Program is designed to work with academic institutions and industry to give students the skills needed to work in emerging technology sectors. Over four years, WIL Digital will create over a thousand high-quality work experiences for students across Canada. The program is funded by the Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program.

Comments