Academic Upgrading – Pembroke Campus
Do You Need to Upgrade to Prepare for College or Workplace?
Start your upgrading now! Our program runs continual intake from September to July every year.
Academic Upgrading provides an excellent opportunity for individuals who are pursuing college training or new employment prospects to improve their educational skills. The program is offered at Algonquin College’s Pembroke Campus, and is free to Ontario residents. The program assists people who have been out of school for many years, or those who have not completed high school and are interested in attending a college program.
People who are interested in college programs in the health sciences may take Biology and Chemistry as an admissions pre-requisite.
We offer courses in:
- English (Monday and Thursday, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.)
- Math (Daytime: Monday and Thursday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. AND Evening: Monday and Wednesday, 6 – 9 p.m.)
- Computers (Wednesday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- Success Strategies (12 week course scheduled to start winter 2017 – schedule to follow)
- Biology (STARTING IN JANUARY: Tuesday and Thursday, 6 – 9 p.m.)
- Chemistry (STARTING IN JANUARY: Tuesday and Thursday, 6 – 9 p.m.)
Please note: Course availability is subject to applicant demand and time of year. Students work with an academic advisor prior to starting to create an individualized class schedule that meets their personal goals.
You are eligible for Academic Upgrading tuition funding if you are:
- 19 years of age or older
- an Ontario resident
Program features are:
- Courses are offered normally during the day on a Monday to Friday basis, excluding science based courses which run in the evening
- Most classes are offered in a modular academic environment, meaning students complete courses on their own schedule and at your own pace with the support of teachers
- Students can earn an Academic Career Entrance (ACE) Certificate, which is considered a high school equivalency by Ontario Colleges when assessing applications
As an Academic Upgrading student you get:
- learning resources (books, computers, workspace)
- access to the College’s Student Services (counselling, health services, tutoring)
- exposure to college life
You can also apply for:
- financial support to assist with childcare and transportation costs to and from the College
Contact Wendy Moon, Pembroke Campus, 613-735-4700, ext. 2657 or email email@example.com for details and to pre-register for the upcoming information session. Please note that seats are limited for these classes.
“If anyone needs an upgrading or refreshment session in Math, English or Computer Skills, the Algonquin College Waterfront Campus in Pembroke has it all. The learning environment provided as well as the devoted staff, from teachers to support service officers and counsellors, gave me all the support I needed for the most pleasant and successful experience. I strongly recommend you consider it for all your learning needs. Make the move, and like me, create memories and gain abilities that will last a life time.”
-Martin Bruneau, mature student
“It was a pleasant change of pace to work on my own and to be given the attention I needed when I needed it. Giving me the opportunity to grow an learn. Thank you for the time and patience of the staff of Academic upgrading. It has been a pleasure learning.”
-James Carabott, mature student
“I found the computer part of the course quite daunting as I had never had any formal computer training. However I was determined to persevere and near the end I was amazed at how much better I was and able to complete assignments more easily. I highly recommend this course and would not hesitate to take another.”
-Tim Watson, mature student
Ontario’s employment and training network